Installing Oracle 11g on linux amd64

posted on August 17, 2010

This week I managed to get Oracle 11gr2 up and running on my computer. Here are some notes which might be helpful for users installing on any distribution. The difficulty being the fact that the installer supports RedHat based distributions only, the challenge is to make one’s system as redhat-ish as possible prior to the installation.

  • Enable AIO (async I/O) in the kernel

CONFIG_AIO=y

  • Install dependencies including build tools, compilers, and specifically rpm and ksh. On a gentoo system

emerge -av dev-libs/libaio app-arch/rpm app-shells/pdksh virtual/libstdc++

  • Create symlinks for libstdc++.so.6 in both lib32 and lib64 directories

cd /usr/lib64

ln -sgcc-config -L | cut -f1 -d:/libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6

cd /usr/lib32

ln -sgcc-config -L | cut -f2 -d:/libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++.so.6

  • Create users, groups and directories

groupadd oinstall

groupadd dba

useradd -c "Oracle Software Owner" -g oinstall -G dba -m oracle

passwd oracle

mkdir -p /opt/oracle /etc/oracle /opt/oraInventory

chown -R oracle:oinstall /opt/oracle /opt/oraInventory /etc/oracle

  • Setup a more RedHat-ish layout (/bin/basename, /bin/awk, /bin/rpm symlinks), for a gentoo system only the following is needed

ln -s /usr/bin/rpm /bin/rpm

  • Modify kernel parameters and security limits

/etc/sysctl.conf # Kernel parameters for Oracle 11g kernel.shmmax=2147483648 kernel.sem=250 32000 100 128 fs.file-max=6815744 fs.aio-max-nr=1048576 net.core.rmem_default=262144 net.core.rmem_max=4194304 net.core.wmem_default=262144 net.core.wmem_max=1048576 net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range=9000 65500

/etc/security/limits.conf # Increase shell limits for Oracle 11.2 oracle soft nofile 4096 oracle hard nofile 65536 oracle soft nproc 2047 oracle hard nproc 16384

sysctl -p

  • Pre-installation

/etc/profile.d/oracle.sh if [ "$USER" = "oracle" ]; then if [ $SHELL = "/bin/ksh" ]; then ulimit -u 16384 ulimit -n 65536 else ulimit -u 16384 -n 65536 fi fi

/bin/gcc #!/bin/bash if [ "$1" = "-m32" ]; then /usr/bin/gcc -L/usr/lib32 $* else /usr/bin/gcc $* fi

  • Installation

xhost+ ./runInstaller

  • At linker errors

${ORACLE_HOME}/lib/sysliblist - -ldl -lm -lpthread -lnsl -lirc -lipgo -lsvml + -ldl -lm -lpthread -lnsl -lirc -lipgo -lsvml -lrt

  • Post installation

/etc/env.d/99oracle ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome ORACLE_OWNER=oracle ORACLE_SID=orcl ORACLE_UNQNAME=orcl ORACLE_TERM=xterm LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome/lib PATH=/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome/bin ROOTPATH=/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome/bin

/etc/oratab - orcl:/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome:N + orcl:/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome:Y

  • Create initscripts

/etc/init.d/ora.console

/etc/init.d/ora.database

/etc/init.d/ora.listener

Everything seems to be working fine as of now, though I might have missed something while noting it down. The initscripts do require a bit of polish, and I’ll blog about them once I’ve gotten myself around.